Careers & More
All too often, high school graduates with intellectual/developmental disabilities find themselves with limited options when transitioning to adulthood. Opportunities for fulfilling careers are often simply out of reach. This was the fundamental reason for Lakemary’s creation of “Careers & More”, where young adults and their families have new reasons to be excited for the future.
“Careers & More” is an educational and career development program that empowers highly motivated high school graduates with intellectual/developmental disabilities to discover strengths and develop skills to prepare them for success in the workplace.
- Develop team building and social skills
- Growth of overall career skills such as: customer experience, time management, problem solving/critical thinking, and personal/professional development
- Develop a better understanding of résumé building and interviewing skills
- Upon completion of the program, individuals will work with a job coach who will help them identify preferred career tracks
Criteria for Admission
- 18-30 years of age
- Diagnosed with an intellectual or developmental disability (I/DD)
- Eligibility determination for I/DD services completed by the Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO)
- Motivated to participate in community employment
- Ability to accept and follow rules and expectations
- Ability to participate in small group activities
- Independently maintain daily hygiene care and toileting
- High school graduate or certificate of completion