Coronavirus COVID-19 Statement from the President
** UPDATED ON 4/28/2020 **
Dear Lakemary family,
COVID-19 cases are on the rise across the country, including our local communities. Our Medical Team and direct care staff have been instrumental in seeing us through these difficult times and establishing best practices to minimize possible exposure to and spread of COVID-19 for the vulnerable population we serve. We are committed to continuing a conservative approach and require quarantine of any staff or resident who may have had direct contact with someone displaying suspected symptoms, in addition to all our other preventative measures in place.
Extensions to the “stay-at-home” orders were issued from both Kansas Governor Laura Kelly (through 5/3/2020) and Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas (through 5/15/2020). Our locations in Johnson and Miami Counties fall under the Kansas order and both counties are considered a part of the great Kansas City Metro area. Lakemary continues to operate essential services necessary to care for the individuals in our programs.
At this time, we have decided to keep all of our current policies and procedures in place through June 1st in order to mitigate risks for our persons served and employees.
- All planned outings and community activities will continue to be suspended through 6/1/2020, with the exceptions of necessary medical services and approved small group outdoor exercise activities. We will continue to provide outdoor activities in line with social distancing guidelines for all residential programs.
- All family visits (off-grounds and in-person) will continue to be suspended through 6/1/2020. Lakemary will continue to support family contact through telephone and videoconferencing.
- Lakemary continues to provide educational support for our residential students that meet their needs based on their Individualized Education Plan. We will continue the modified learning schedule through the end of the Spring semester.
- We continue to screen all employees prior to starting their shift and implement quarantine measures based on CDC recommendations if applicable. For employees with indirect contact with persons served, Lakemary is complying with social distancing recommendations, and supporting working from home on a rotating basis when appropriate.
- A cross-program COVID-19 response team is in place and prepared to respond should we have any suspected or positive cases of COVID-19.
Thank you for your continued support while we navigate these challenging times. Nothing can deter us at Lakemary from continuing to provide the best possible care to all we serve. In particular, I want to recognize our remarkable direct care staff that remain dedicated to showing up and working with our individuals all day, every day. They are nothing short of heroes during this time and we are extremely grateful to have them on our team. I also want to thank those who have reached out with donations of supplies, food, money and/or words of encouragement and support. These things mean the world at a time like this.
We understand this is an uncertain and unnerving time, but please know that we will get through this together. We will maintain open communication with employees, parents, and guardians who may be directy impacted and post any new information and updates on our website and on Facebook.
Gianna Gariglietti, M.Ed., LCPC