Protecting the Health of Our Individuals Served and Staff During Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The coronavirus pandemic has raised many questions and concerns among Lakemary clients, families, staff members, and stakeholders. In an effort to keep everyone safe and informed, we would like to share the following information to address the measures we are taking.
The health and safety of all the individuals served throughout our programs and our staff remains our top priority. We are fortunate to have been minimally impacted by positive cases and continue to have ZERO positive or suspected positive cases among our persons served in all programs. We serve a vulnerable population, and we are taking all precautionary measures to minimize possible exposure to and spread of COVID-19. As the response to this pandemic evolves, we will continue to provide updates as they are available.
*As of 6/1/2020:
Lakemary Executive Team leaders along with our Medical Team are working in close partnership with local and state health departments to gather information about coronavirus and safe business practices. With guidance from these reputable sources, Lakemary is embracing a phased approach to easing restrictions on on-campus visits, community outings, and in-person services. **Please note that all dates are subject to change based on continued collaboration with local and state health officials.**
Lakemary School day students who do not live with us will continue to receive special education services through virtual lessons that meet their needs based on their Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Residential students will continue to receive instruction in the classroom with reduced class size and appropriate staffing. Learn more about our remote service delivery efforts.
New Policies and Procedures:
- All employees will be screened prior to starting their shift and quarantine measures will be implemented based on CDC recommendations if applicable. For employees with indirect contact with persons served, Lakemary is complying with social distancing recommendations, and supporting working from home on a rotating basis when appropriate.
- All employees are required to wear a face mask, wash hands regularly, and comply with social distancing guidelines while working in Lakemary offices and residences. Read more about this recommendation from the CDC.
- We have enhanced our cleaning protocols and provided additional resources, including:
- Providing and using CDC/EPA-approved cleaning agents in all environments.
- Ensuring all bathrooms are continuously stocked with soap and paper towels, and encouraging individuals served and staff to wash hands frequently.
- Making hand sanitizer available for use in all program areas.
- Ensuring all staff providing direct care and medical support have the resources and guidance needed to detect and report symptoms exhibited and provide help for any affected individuals.
- Utilizing backpack sprayer systems to administer safe disinfecting spray throughout the Center and resident homes.
How You Can Help:
We are so grateful for the overwhelming generosity and encouragement we have received from our amazing community of supporters! Donations of hand sanitizer, face masks, games, activities, funds, and more have helped us make it through this pandemic. If you would like to support Lakemary during this challenging time, please donate to our COVID Response Fund.
Thank You Direct Care Staff!
Special thanks to Rex Hudler, Kansas City Royals broadcaster and friend of Lakemary, for giving a shout out to our amazing direct care staff during these challenging times! They show up and work with our individuals all day, every day, and are nothing short of heroes. We are extremely grateful to have them on our team!